Typically, you'd spend the last few days (or earlier) of the year reflecting back on the things that you've done, achievements you've accomplished, unhappy memories you'd rather forget, the enriching lessons you've learned, a new friendship you've forged and an old friend you've re-connected with...
..and you start contemplating on your new year's resolutions in optimistic anticipation that the new year would bring about change, improvement or simply, just setting out to do the things that you've never done before.
As I lay in bed this morning, refusing to get up, I started to reflect on the past year. On the whole, I've concluded that it has been good despite the many ups and downs that life is expected to behave. I hate to start comparing but if I have to, I'm glad we've survived the year without much turmoil, major disaster (save and except for the recent landslide catastrophe) and most of all, notwithstanding the sliding economy, we are pretty much a resilient bunch.
On the personal front, I got to also reflect on how I've been truly blessed in many aspects in my life and I am very thankful for that. My family and I, we have much to look forward to in the coming year; one of which is that we are eagerly waiting for the arrival of our little bundle of joy next May.
Then I got to thinking about some things that I'd wanted to get done and finish. And I threw in a couple of goals in there as well. I wouldn't call them “resolutions” per se but the list is probably close to being one.
AND, since I'm typing this on New Year's eve, I thought “why not share them with my friends”.
So, without further ado, here are my nine for nine on my wish list :
(1) learn to bake. Serious, I don't have a sweet tooth so I've never been a fan of cakes. But, you know, I've put this on because Ash might insist that I make her a nice piece of chocolate cake one day and I'd really hate to disappoint her.
(2) complete Ash's photobook album that I've started.
(3) be less uptight – sometimes, rules are just meant to be broken
(4) save up enough dough to pay off our housing loan by the year end (not sure how much of a reality this can be but I'd certainly like to give it my best shot) so that we'd have more for our kids' (gosh, I can't imagine saying that - I will have KIDS!!).
(5) exercise. That can only happen after my confinement.
(6) no drugs during child-birth. Lets see if I can do it again this time
(7) breastfeed. Will attempt once more and hoping I'll succeed this time.
(8) take more photographs. Yeah, I'd love to do that!
(9) read more. Trade magazines for real books..
There. That's what popped into my head before being forced out of bed by the little energizer bunny.
Doesn't look like a very heavy list but just as important as the list itself, I'd have to ensure that at least half of them comes true. At least.
Alrighty then, I've gotta go prepare for an early lunch cos we are heading out to the city for the night.
Till next year, have a blessed New Year all my friends and may the year 2009 bring you lotsa happiness, wealth and not forgetting health. All the best!