Saturday, December 28, 2013

Her desires

Ash has plenty of desires. But, none includes academics. Ask her to do maths is like asking her to eat poison. It's a good thing we decided against Chinese school. It's the same with reading. Well, we don't really ask her to read. I tried but it didn't work. I would read to her when she couldn't read but I found her looking at pictures rather than wanting to familiarise herself with the words. I even thought that she was dyslexic at one stage. But, it turned out my fears were unfounded. So she couldn't read nor write (except her name) for the longest time. Plus, I think I was a lazy mom who didn't spend enough time reading to her and quickly accepted this doomed state of affairs.

Now that she's 6++, and is able to read quite adequately for a 6++ year old, I am relieved. I don't blame her really cos neither her dad nor I read plenty during our childhood. My dad was horrified that I couldn't read until I was...12? So, I don't expect my girls to be super smart at school. Definitely not in the genes.

In order to fuel her passion for life (no point emphasizing on things they have no interest or just simply lack the aptitude for), we allow her to pick up other skills. One of which is the flute. Why the flute? Frankly, I have no idea. She wants to learn it. I suggested the piano (the basic, right?), and she scoffed at the idea saying "the piano is so huge. I can't bring it anywhere. The flute is small...I can just put it in my pocket...see? easy peasy".

So...what I need to do now is to find a..flute teacher? Where? I was kind of hoping maybe the violin. But, no...it has to be a freaking flute! 

*throws hands up in the air* I give up!. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008. Modified by Shireen Loh.

Back to TOP