Friday, August 10, 2012

How safe is Malaysia?

Lately, we've been plagued by all kinds of safety and security issues. AT most, we only hear of people getting randomly robbed, murdered, raped..in far away places when we read the news. These days however, it's happening everywhere : prominent shopping malls, the neighbourhood where we grew up, neighbourhood where we now live. The list is endless. What is happening Malaysia?

Then I started thinking of the time my aunt encountered a snatch thief while walking to the train station early one morning. SHe takes the train to work and you know, my aunt, she's been doing this for years. I think she was barely a yard away from her home when she struggled with the guy. Thank God she wasn't held at gunpoint or in our case, parang-point. The guy just jumped at her, grabbed her purse and off he went. She ran home to my grandmother who was obviously in shock to see her face that has turned green with fright. That was many years ago and I never forgot that incident. 

Also, my parents were victims of these blade-happy people. Once my dad got a surprise at the ATM. It was real early in the morning when he went in to make a deposit. Obviously, there was no other person in there except him because it was like, 0630. I think he wasn't really paying attention when this guy, with a full-face motorcycle helmet opened the door and just casually walked in. I mean, I wouldn't too because I would be busy concentrating to make payment to the right account. Anyway, as soon as he completed his transaction, took the receipt, turned around....and there he was -- faced with the hooded man with his parang raised and ready to strike.

Now, my dad - if you don't know him, he used to be a teacher. So teachers have a way of throwing their voice and have this ability to speak really loud in front of a classroom packed with noisy kids. They must definitely get voice lessons in addition to their teaching education. So, when my dad saw his  potential attacker, he took a few steps back in shock (naturally) and he just screamed. Imagine a banshee screaming but with a really deep manly voice and in an enclosed area. Sounds cannot escape and neither can you. He was screaming and screaming and the guy, I think he popped his ear-drums because he stumbled backwards instead..possibly in shock as well. Seeing the opportunity, my dad made a dash for the door, flew open and continued screaming as he ran. The workers at the dim sum shop next door all came out to see what the commotion was and saw my dad running towards the shop..screaming. The parang fella got out of there and onto the kapchai that was waiting for him outside and sped off. My dad got a hot drink courtesy of the dim sum shop and was told to stay in there until the coast was clear.. 

All of these happened many years ago and don't think my family's incidences were the only ones during those times. I remember also about my MIL telling me her neighbours' houses were broken into in the middle of the night. They happened many years ago as well. I just think that the news we get these days are alot more instantaneous and faster than what gets reported in the mainstream media. Thanks to social media sites such as twitter and facebook and blogging sites. They are everywhere. Just possibly a lot more rampant and alot more daring lately. I mean, even kidnapping an expat kid. That sure brought us to a global level. 

Anyway, crimes are highly prevalent lately. A simple outing to the mall can be quite harrowing. So much so that when I went out on a ladies night last week (it was only to a shopping mall), I wasn't at ease walking about. I even went to get a huge bag of diapers in case I needed it to swing at some punk. Of course, I also needed to get a bag of diapers. Even when entering the ladies, I made sure my bag was with me as I peed. And making sure I only needed to use the ladies once or at least go ber-ramai-ramai. As soon as we had finished our dinner, I even declined yum cha and sent everyone home instead. Sped home and while it was a lovely night out, I was on my toes the whole time. I wished it didn't have to be like that at a time when it was my chance to have a great time. The last thing I wanted to do was to constantly look over my shoulders. 

Say all we want but being vigilant is an understatement these days. I think, it's not enough to be vigilant and careful but we civilians need to be carrying a weapon too. Like a gun or something. Kind of sad isn't it about what's been happening and possibly, is happening.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008. Modified by Shireen Loh.

Back to TOP