Monday, August 27, 2007

Is it worth it?

Yesterday evening we had a surprise visit from my uncle and his family. They came over to visit Ashley cos they haven't seen her since she was born. I know its not very nice of me to say this but they are a queer lot. My aunt gave us a present. She said (as she handed me a parkson grand plastic bag)..."here, this is for your baby...we didn't buy anything in particular". Of course as a matter of protocol, I replied "Thanks aunty but you didn't have to".

Hmm what did they get my baby Ashley huh? Well, I too couldn't bear the suspense but since its not very nice to open presents in front of your guests, I waited till they left. So, we chatted and then they did leave. Momsie with her itchy fingers took the 'present' out from the bag immediately and guess what? Ashley got an opened, half-eaten box of Kellogs cornflakes!! Hmm, methinks they don't like us very much huh? Have to eat our cornflakes some more then only give to us :)

Don't worry, I'm not going to write an entire post about my uncle's family cos it would be too boring and probably would drive all of you guys away reading about people you can't relate to. I was merely illustrating how queer my uncle's family are.

Actually, it was something my aunty asked me that triggered this post. "I heard you are full time housewife now. Do you enjoy it?". I get that alot. People are surprised that I've decided to stay at home full-time to take care of Ashley. Probably I'm never pictured as a housewife. I admit, I don't have the patience or the aptitude for that.

But honestly though, I do enjoy being at home with Ashley. I'm not saying that because this is pretty much a place for public viewing. Its not all a bed of roses frankly speaking. For instance, I don't get to go out as often as I had imagine. They don't call us stay-at-home mom for nothing you know. Its hard to even sneak some time for a hair-cut, let alone facials, pedi or mani. Sometimes I don't even change my pjs in the morning until I take my shower later in the day. Don't even mention about shopping. I still wear some of my pregnancy clothes although slowly (very slowly) I'm getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I've only bought one or two normal wearing clothes of late.

Doesn't sound like a fun job, does it now? It isn't. I would dare say that its not a job for everyone including me. It took a lot out of me initially. At times I do wonder if I am fit for the role or that I wish to be out working again. But you know what, being with Ashley ever since she was born, being there for her first roll-over, her antics, the changes in her..its an amazing and wonderful feeling. Feelings that I can't describe, much like labour pains.

I do enjoy being there for my kid, and I don't feel that I've made a big sacrifice because nothing is or can be bigger than my lil Ashley (though her crying is something that I am still getting used to). So, yes, its worth it, every second if it.


P.S : I'm not sure if I'd say the same when I have my second child, I'd go back to work eh? :P

5 comments:

Helen said...

Do what is in your heart. :-) Staying at home taking of the kids IS more stressful than working. Trust me. But then, you cannot exactly compare work with taking care of your child. lol

If money is not an issue, then you have the luxury of option. :-)I'm glad you're enjoying your time with Ashley. Yeah, they grow up so fast and before long, they're be attending kindergarten. No matter what you choose, just make sure it's what you want. Damn, being mother doesn't mean you're deprived of choices!

I was really laughing hard at the half box of Kellogs!! I want to write a post on that! I had similar experience with my ex lady boss. She kept all her mooncakes until the festival is over. Then, she'll distribute to her employees.... by the time, the mooncakes already turned moldy. Blek.. so hak sam. She's summore a Datin..

stranger-online said...

OMG, a half eaten box of cornflakes..hahaha..my aunt does the same thing to my family too...except that it is not cornflakes. She always bring their dinner (that her family cant finish) to us...from rice to meat and vege. That's teribble. Sometimes biscuits, chocolates, almost everything that they cant finish. Thats not a nice thing to do, yah?

Mommy to Chumsy said...

what??? half eaten box of cornflakes? tsk tsk tsk. not sure whether to laugh or to be angry eh? Yep, being a SAHM is no joke. A lot of sacrificies. People always say Oh, you are a 'yellow-faced woman' whenever I tell them that I'm a sahm :)

zewt said...

well... i have never met someone who took such a step and regret in the end.... trust me... it will all be worth it.

and... half eaten keloggs?????? what the....

moms tales said...

Thanks gals and guy for your encouragements.

Stranger-Online - looks like we have similar types of relatives...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008. Modified by Shireen Loh.

Back to TOP