Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My favourite stomach feed

I actually have quite a few but I had this 2 Sundays' back. Don't start drooling now..hehhehe






My mom, the greatest cook on earth, makes Assam Laksa or Penang laksa occasionally on weekends. This particular version of a local delicacy is more prominent in the Northen part of my country. I'm not entirely sure where it originates from or what its called in English but here is an excerpt from Wiki (don't we just love Wiki??!!) :

Assam laksa is a sour fish-based soup. Asam (or asam jawa) is the Malay word for tamarind, which is commonly used to give the stock its sour flavor. It is also common to use "asam keping" also known as "asam gelugor", dried slices of tamarind fruit, for added sourness. Modern Malay spelling is asam, though the spelling assam is still frequently used.

The main ingredients for assam laksa include shredded fish, normally kembung fish or mackerel, and finely sliced vegetables including cucumber, onions, red chillis, pineapple, lettuce, common mint, "daun kesum" (Vietnamese mint or laksa mint) and pink bunga kantanvermicelli). And topped off with "petis udang" or "hae ko", a thick sweet prawn/shrimp paste. (ginger buds). Assam laksa is normally served with either thick rice noodles or thin rice noodles (vermicelli) And topped off with "petis udang" or "hae ko", a thick sweet prawn/shrimp paste.

If you like Thai tomyam, I think you might enjoy this or you might not cos the soup base is fish. Not many are crazy over fish.

11 comments:

Sandra Carvalho said...

Yummy!!!
Did I mentioned that I love Thai food?!
Lol!

Anonymous said...

U r really tempting me...and I am still waiting for my dinner right now...:P

Tina said...

hmm im coming round yours for dinner later then. Gosh i have only had breakfast lol!

CrazyKinux said...

Pad Thai being one of my favourite dish, I'll have to give this a try. Looks amazing. Too bad we can't smell its aroma. =(

CK

Mom Knows Everything said...

Too late...I'm already drooling.

moms tales said...

Sandra : Now you have!! LOL..

MBL : So, what time did you have ur din-din? did I spoil it for u? *snigger*

Tina : You know, I was waiting for u last night??? LOL

CK : The smell..is TO DIE for!! Trust me..:-D

Tammy : Don't wet your floor Tam..just kidding..LOL

sting said...

am swallowing my saliva now... gosh.. I need to have laksa this weekend!

Mom's The Cook said...

ahhhhh...you are making me hungry!!!!!

Chinneeq said...

so delicious!!! Can i have some ah?

Anonymous said...

u r making me hungry... long time i didnt jiak assam liao!

riablahgs said...

Ummmm....looks very yummy! I hope it's not so spicy! Btw, thanks for accepting my ad for your Entrecard drop. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008. Modified by Shireen Loh.

Back to TOP